Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Craig....

So I’d like to share the story that I’ve been sharing with the kids this summer. Our ministry time during the day is called ‘Coach’s Corner’, and it’s a time when we get the kids all together, sitting down, and we hang out for a bit. The theme for the week is the ‘Path of a Champion’, and every day we outline a step in that journey of becoming a champion in life. We demonstrate the theme through a simple game or illustration, and then draw some truths from the Bible, followed by one of the four coaches sharing their testimony.

It’s not a coincidence that I was unsure of what part of my story I would share this summer. For most of these camps it would be my second or third time back, and I wanted to share a different part of my story, instead of just the whole general thing, with the kids and churches.

In fact, I was starting to get a bit anxious about what I would share. But, God had a plan. It was a mysterious, confusing, and very difficult plan. After the night of Craig’s accident, I knew what I would be sharing this summer.

The other three coaches each share on Monday –Wednesday, with these themes:
Monday – Explore – we need to discern all the voices around us and find the one true voice, which we can find in the Bible.
Tuesday – Build – Once we find that voice, we need to build a solid foundation
Wednesday – Battle – Our lives are full of battles, and not just physical ones. We battle against spiritual attacks, and need to have that solid foundation ready.

My day to share is Thursday:
Thursday – Endure – Why do we endure in those battles? What gives us the strength to endure? What hope do we have apart from Christ?

It has not been easy, but the last two weeks I’ve gone up in front of the kids and told them about how I am enduring right now, as I stand up there talking to them.

And this is what I say:

I tell them how I met Craig, in my first year of university, living in the same house, having never met the guy.

I tell them how everyone that met Craig has an immediate respect for him. He carried himself in such a way that never compromised who he was and what he stood for, but was at the same time very respectful of other people.

I tell them how great a leader he was, and the impact he had on so many people, including myself.

I tell them how we would talk about Senate for lengthy periods of time, discussing how we could make it better, and his unending need to make things better.

I tell them how passionate he was about his church, and the youth in his church, and how he felt so compelled to step up and lead.

I tell them how Craig loved God, how he was built on the Rock, and how he had that personal relationship with Christ.

I tell them how Craig was always so interested in camps, and the kids, and hearing stories of how camps were going.

I tell them how we were brothers. I didn’t live with him like others did; I didn’t see him everyday like others did. But, we had a unique relationship in the experiences and passions we shared, ranging from our church backgrounds to dorm experiences to student leadership visions.

I tell them how Craig came over to my house for Thanksgiving this past fall.

I tell them how it seemed like Craig was only beginning a journey of influence, inspiration, and service.

Then I buckle down and tell them what happened. I tell them where I was when I got the phone call, and the shock we’ve all been going through and have had to work through. I tell them how difficult is for me to understand why it had to happen the way it did. It’s really hard for me to understand why Craig, of all people, was the one that had to be in that car, and be taken from us. It’s hard to think I never got say goodbye, and tell him one more time that I love him.

During Coach’s Corner, there are always the typical kids that play with the grass, smirk at each other, and get distracted. But when they see Coach D up front, getting emotional, they are zoned right in. What an amazing opportunity.

Now I get to tell them the hope that Craig always had.

I get to tell them about the place where he is now, and how much happier he is, and how much comfort that can give me, knowing that he had a personal relationship with the Lord here on earth, and is reaping the benefits of God’s grace right now, and forever!

I get to tell them this:
I want nothing more than for them, the campers, to have that same hope. I want them to be champions like Craig was, in God’s eyes. I want them to know what it is like to call Jesus their best friend, and have God as their Rock and hope.

Craig, you are touching hundreds of kid’s lives this summer. The way you lived your life, and the way you impacted me, and the way you are celebrating the goodness of God right now, is having a tremendous impact still, and kids all over the province are hearing the hope that they can have too. It’s not easy, and I struggle every day with dealing with you being gone from this earth.

But you’re home, brother, I love you.

Booyah….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darren you Rock! I am very impressed and inspired by your endurance during this very difficult time! I am praying that, like Timothy, you will continue to Fight the Good Fight as you face adversity during this season of your life (2 Timothy 4: 1-7).

All for Jesus!

Anonymous said...

beautiful...so beautiful.
craig would love to know how big a part he is playing in the lives of these gems this summer.
his life will live on in so many people's hearts....

 

zinc poisoning