Monday, July 09, 2007

ABK...

My third summer of camps with AIA is fully underway, and I had every intention of updating this site alot sooner, but I think that can be an indication of what a ride the last week and a half has been. Until a week and a half ago, everything was all lined up, and I was ready to go. Then there was that Thursday night, when we got the call and found out about Craig's accident, and all of a sudden my life was upside down. I was not prepared to deal with it, and not having to leave in less than two days for camp was intimidating and scary. I guess maybe God wants to teach me something.

Heading up to ABK and finally arriving there after a 7 or 8 hour drive, it was tough to balance dealing with the loss, and getting geared up for a week of ministry was hard. God was faithful, though, and answered prayers that I would be able to focus when I needed to and also deal with everything when I needed to.

ABk has been a beautiful place for me, and I was immediately surrounded by the family that AIA camps have become famous for. People that I spend time with only once a year, but as soon as we meet up its like I never left. At ABK, more than a couple people stepped up in prayer, support, and love, and I knew that God would give me the strength I needed.

I could go on forever about the week. We were attacked in many ways, from energy, to emotions, to focus, to forgiveness, to brokenness, to grief...there were a few times when Dan and I were at a loss for words as we could just shrug our shoulders and say, "God must be setting us up for a big summer." I've never had to deal with so much in the first week of the summer.

But, God was, as always, so much bigger and better than our own thoughts and plans. There were a ton of laughs, jokes, skits, games, and stories that can only testify of His intimate presence. If I can highlight one, it'll be of our boy, Mason.

Mason is 14, and was in a cabin of younger boys for some reason, and in my small group for Coach's Corner. Before I had any idea, Dan mentioned Mason in out debriefing time on Monday, and talked of his burden for Mason, how Mason didn't have a personal relationship with Jesus. As the week progressed, we prayed alot for Mason, and things we discussed in our small group really seemed to hit home. I asked him straight out, that if a stranger came up to him and asked him why he lived the way he did, what would he say. Mason looked right back at me with the most thoughtful look I've seen, and kind of stuttered, "I don't know." He went on to tell me how there's been alot of battles in his life, and I asked him why he keeps plugging through, and what gives him the hope he has. On Thursday I shared with him Craig's story, and how I was struggling right then and there, but more importantly how the only reason I could have comfort in the situation was because I knew of Craig's relationship with Christ, and my relationship with Christ.

On Friday, I asked Mason where he was at, what he thought of everything he had heard this week. He said he was interested, but was kind of confused and a bit bored at all the different stories he heard. He also said he didn't really know if the whole Jesus thing was for him, and he was busy with alot of other things in his life.

That afternoon Dan and I got a chance to encourage him a bit, thank him for his maturity, and let him know we were praying for him. That was the extent of it all, and it was kind of left hanging.

Until...we get this email from him this morning, three days after camp:

Dear Darren and Dan,

Hey guys, i'm just emailing you guys to tell you how grateful i am to have experienced your camp last week. I've heard from everyone that you guys especially care about me and have been praying for me (Well you guys told me yourself) and well id just like to repay you guys by saying thank you. I learned tons, not just about soccer but about my self, and my life, and Christianity. Darren, your awesome man, straight up awesome. I learned alot from you in our small groups during Coach's Corner and just everywhere else. Thank you for the wonderful experience. Dan, You are also an awesome guy. Thanks for everything you taught me with your talks on and off the field. Your a great coach and i hope you help other people like you've helped me. I just wanted to take some time and just thank you guys for all the fun i had and to thank you for the the wicked t-shirt (which, by the way, is WAY cooler then the basketball ones!). I thank you for all the soccer skills that you've taught me and all the stuff you've taught me about being a Christian. I think i can actually start saying that i am a believer of God and that i do believe. A couple of more steps and i might be able to say that i am a Christian, but these steps will be long careful steps.

So i guess ill be taking off now, so i hope to get something back from you guys!
Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,

Mason Muncaster.

Talk about exciting eh?? Dan emailed me just now with this:

Counting conversations, Scooter always says. Well, this is proof that God is moving as we focus on those relationships. I want to say that last night Nate was talking to Mason on MSN and was encouraging him. Mason said he was even praying for us...this kid is coming to faith and its awesome to watch. Nate asked him, would you consider yourself a follower of Jesus?", then he answered, "no", "maybe", "yes", "definitely yes". We have been under spiritual attack from day one. Mason, and others like him, are the reason why. Love you guys,

Dan

Thank you, Jesus, for Mason....

Thanks you, Jesus, for answering prayer....

Please, Jesus, continue to give us strength...

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Hey Darren,

It's been a while.. but awesome to see you're back in action at camp this summer. This story of Mason absolutely gave me chills... praise the Lord because he has been at work in so many lives the past two weeks. This is why I keep coming back... as we all do I'm sure! We're prayin for you and the rest of your team out here. Take Care,
Robyn

 

zinc poisoning