Sunday, June 25, 2006

Community...

The past week or so has been a great chance for me to think and recognize some of the people God's put in my life. From a whole day of flying, to working in a back warehouse with nothing to do BUT think, to hanging out with some amazing friends and family, I've really been convicted of how blessed I am, and how much I take that for granted.

One of the biggest ways I've been blessed is through people, from some of the smallest to the biggest ways. God shows Himself through encouragements, hugs, prayers, and just hang out times. I was really convicted when I started compiling a list of the people that came to mind who have blessed me in some way over even just the last year.

There's my family. I wouldn't be anywhere without them all. My parents, and the example they are, and the love they show us kids, and the dedication they have to us kids is something I'm so thankful for, and couldn't do enough to thank them for it. My brothers and sisters, wherever we all end up we always know we're just a call away, or a short email, or a funny story. I have so many role models in even just my family, and am so blessed to be a part of them.

There's the friends. Those who I see every day, or only see every few months. From the one on one conversations, to the group parties, to the beers on the back porch, to the random MSN conversation that turns into a huge encouragement and discipleship time. From the baseball games in the driveway, to the random Tim Horton's runs, to the quick facebook comment, to the hug in the hallway.

There's the youth, pastors, and kids from camps last summer. I couldn't have imagined how close I would get with them over the last year, developing friendships that are as close as family, sharing God-stories, lifting each other up in tough times, and looking forward to what this new summer is going to bring about, reconnecting on that mission field (soccer field :)) and showing Jesus to these kids.

There's the other people who have had a huge impact on my growth, spiritually and socially. From employers who are more friends then anything else, to track coaches who never stop demonstrating humility and giving me encouragement, to the professors who go way out of their way to see how I am doing, to the directors who take time to build into me.

I love sitting and listening to people, and encouraging them. I am really encouraged by that.

But the people who have taken time to build into me, encourage me, and want to know more than just how my day is going,

Thanks.

If we all took time to really acknowledge how many people God has used to impact us, it would be an incredible realization of an endless community.

Thank you, Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darren, I just want to say, that you have blessed my life in more ways than I can count, and though you may not see it or know how, you have. I am SO encouraged by you and what you write in these blogs, I always look forward to reading them and I ALWAYS come out more encouraged then ever. I can see you growing so much in your faith and how much God is using you. I know God has a huge plan for your life, and I know you will continue to bless everyone around you. You are amazing, it's true! Thanks for being you and for always being there for me:)

~Amy P

 

zinc poisoning