Monday, June 12, 2006

How I See God...

Last night, I had a fantastic conversation with a friend, who felt like she was struggling. I praise God that we could talk and share, and as much as I hope that she was encouraged by it, I feel like I was very blessed by the whole thing. In a nutshell, she felt like she was 'falling away' from God, feeling really disconnected and discouraged because of her lack of prayer and devotions. This isn't the point of the post, but it sets up a good context.

More than once in the last months, I've struggled with the same thing. I think everyone does. Or, maybe more pointedly, I think every faithful Christian does. I'm learning that these 'daily devotions' are often an obstacle and hindrance in an intimate relationship with God. That's a strong statement, sure, and by NO MEANS am I saying don't read the Bible and pray. I guess I just feel like it's gotten to the point where our ideal relationship with God consists of a daily reading and prayer time, and thats about it.

I don't think I'm a very wise person, and I don't have a whole lot of solutions. But talking to my friend last night, I tried to encourage her to look for God in some other areas of life. Of course she should strive to study the Bible, and live out of it. But I think we all need a bigger picture of God. We read and have the head knowledge that God is everywhere, but do we actually look for it?

Renee and I were talking a few weeks ago, and she told me how she sees God in nature and creation. It's pretty easy and convenient out here in BC, with the beauty around us, but she talked of how she can sit in nature and just be in awe.

I think I see God in people. I get so encouraged through other people's faith. I love hearing stories. I wish I could just be a fly on the wall and see how God lives in each and every one of His people. Everyone has a unique story, personality, character, and motivation. I see God in that. I see God in friendships. I see God in family (How could I not when these are two of my nieces praying before lunch)


OK, maybe that was a cheesy attempt to brag about them ;)

I see God in someone smiling. I see God in a hug. I see God in people going out for coffee. I see God in being able to call a friend any time of day or night. I try to see God in all the little things of life I usualy take for granted way too quickly.

Last night, I also told my friend how I try to see God in the struggles of people. I try to see God in a believer who is struggling, because they feel like they need to be doing more. When I told her I see God in her thinking that she is 'falling away', I think it was a huge encouragement. I would be worried if she was content with falling away! The fact she felt the need to talk and look for help tells me that God is working and the Spirit is alive!

Thanks for that, Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Darren - You are SOO much wiser than you think you are. Thank you for the reminder to see God in everything around us, in people, in nature, in everything. I miss you and pray that you will continue to be blessed and be a blessing to the people around you.
kristel b

Katrina VandenBerg said...

that was an incredibly uplifting reminder! thanks darren.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brother,
A visiting Zimbabwean pastor told us on sunday, "People talk about love and grace. I tell you, love is a person. Grace is a person." He showed that love isn't an idea or emotion. God is love. Love isn't something we see that points to Jesus, love is SEEING Jesus. I'm glad you see him so many places others dont.

 

zinc poisoning