Sunday, July 23, 2006

"Alone, But Not Lonely"

A good friend of mine and I had an encouraging conversation yesterday, and that phrase came up....alone, but not lonely. We're on an exciting journey this summer, but there's more than a few times when I feel alone. Alone with the thoughts in my head, alone in my role this summer, and on an independent journey with God. It's frustrating sometimes when I meet up with everyone on weekends, but can't seem to relate to everyone what's going through my head, how excited I am, and how humbled I am as to what God is doing this summer.

But, every weekend when I have a couple short days break before we start up a new week, I try to reflect and sum up all the people, all the kids, and all the ways God revealed Himself in the past week, and I definitely do not feel lonely.

Our second week of camp took us up to Bolton, and we partnered with Bolton Alliance Church. It's a smaller church, and this was their first time doing an AIA soccer camp, so there naturally were a few nerves about how it would go. But those nerves were quickly gone when we walked in the pastor's home on the Sunday night. We immediately got this sense of excitement, peace, and confidence. There was a big group of adults, either teachers who had their summer off, or people who simply took a week's vacation form work in order to help out at the camp. They were organized, excited, and encouraging, to say the least.
We had 32 campers, which isn't alot, and they were some of the most competitive campers I've ever worked with. The World Cup tournament we run every day was intense, with kids complaining, arguing, cheering, and pumped up for it every day. We emphasize sportsmanship at our camp, and by the end of the week there was definitely HUGE progress in all of the kids. I have a ton of stories, but the end of the week was by far the highlight. The church put on an awards bbq on the Friday night, and invited all the kids and their families. There was about 90 people there, so it was busy. We coaches got a chance to go up and thank everyone, sing a couple high energy camp songs, and recognize each kid with a different award.
As everyone started leaving, the next hour or so was unbelievable. Here are some of the comments we received from parents:

- the mom of Michael, a high energy, super kid:
"I want to say thanks, Michael played a soccer game the other night with more confidence and excitement than he ever has." and "I'm going to call the pastor next week, and thank him and tell him how great this week was."

- another mother, who goes to a different church in Bolton, came to Matt and I, with tears in her eyes:
"I am so thankful that my boys got to spend a week with strong, Christian males...their dad isn't a Christian and this past week taught them so much."

- a father and mother of three campers, Ally, Julia, and AJ:
"You guys changed our kid's lives."

Those are just a few of the remarks. After an hour or so of goodbyes, some more emotional than others, we were down to just the volunteers who were so awesome all week. About 6 of them, and the 4 of us, got in a huddle, and they asked if they could pray for us. There were tears in their eyes, and one of the elders said we helped make history in their church.

History....

It's impossible to feel lonely when people surrround us like that. Don't get me wrong, I'm humbled to hear those words. To me, I am so blessed to even come alongside these churches this summer. I don't feel worthy at all to be treated the way we are, and to hear those words, they blew me away. It put things in perspective, how open these people are to how God is moving in their community, and how open they are to God using them as small parts in His mission.

I don't speak for myself, I know all 4 of us coaches were in awe that night. We couldn't deny the presence of God there, and we couldn't help but smile. Listening to Hillsongs and Casting Crowns on the way home, I looked over at Julie, and she had this look on her face. I said, "You're with God right now aren't you", with litle wink and big smile, and if you know Jules, she just giggles and is overflowing with this joy.

I'll write more about our third week, in Erin Village, later....

Thank you Jesus, for Bolton Alliance Church.

No comments:

 

zinc poisoning