Sunday, July 09, 2006

"You're on Holy Ground..."

Wow....

That's what comes to mind when I try to sum up our first week of camps this summer.

We went up to Camp Aush-Bik-Koong, ABK, and were there for almost a full week. I got home to St. Catharines just a few hours ago, and I'm trying to reflect and wrap my mind around everything that happened. I think it's fair to say I'm in awe. I'm in awe of how God moved in that camp. I'm in awe of how quickly God opened doors, not only for our AIA team, but for the entire staff and campers at ABK. I'm in awe of how powerfully He broke down kids' hearts, and how encouraging the body of His church is.

Angie, a staff member at ABK and a real gem of a girl, laid it out pretty simply for me, and reminded me that "being in awe is a good place to be." On Thursday night, I was trying to grasp what God was doing at camp, and after a great talk with her and another staff member, Sarah, I couldn't help but smile and be filled with encouragement and peace that God was there.

On Wednesday night, Eric, a 13 year old camper, came up to me and asked if we could talk. He said he heard that I had dealt with some of the same struggles that he was going through, and he wanted to know how I was dealing with it. I jumped at it, and after chapel that night, we went out to the beach and sat down. I asked him what was up, thinking he had heard my testimony that morning which I had given during our Team Time. He flat out said, "I'm pissed at God."

What came about that night was something I could never have expected or prepared for, and will never forget.

I asked him why he was mad at God, and he just started telling his story. He had lost 6 brothers and sisters, either to miscarriages or young infant deaths. He was an only child, and was mad at God for not letting his brothers and sister live.
In my head, I was trying to understand why he was coming to me with this. Then it hit me. In random conversation the night before with some of the staff, I mentioned that I was supposed to be a twin, and the other one had died early on in the pregnancy. I always tell that as a random, interesting fact about myself, and NEVER has it really hit home with me or made me think twice about it. But I guess Eric had approached another staff member, and they encouraged him to come talk to me.

I prayed silently for God to give me the words to speak, because I was so taken aback by what Eric had opened up about, and just gave it up to God to take control of this and use me for it. I won't lie, I was pretty scared. I asked Eric if he believed in Jesus, and what that meant to him. He told me that he committed his life to Christ 3 years ago at ABK, and knew that God loved us and had a purpose for each of our lives. Eric was mad at God, because he thought none of his brothers or sisters ever got the chance to live out their purpose. He went on to tell me he would never get the chance to enjoy that unconditional love and bond that a brother and sister could have. It just wasn't fair, he said.

He went on to tell me how he wanted to be the best, so that he could make up for his brothers and sister here on earth. He wanted to help people, and wanted them to be loved. But, he said, he kept getting frustrated because it was never good enough, and he was sick of it.

Still praying, very hard, I jumped in when he said he felt like he was climbing a mountain, but had stopped short from the top. I told him how excited I was that he had given his life up to Christ, but before he would be able to go much farther up 'that mountain', he was going to have to forgive God, and give up control in his life. I asked him if he believed his brothers and sister were in heaven, and he said yes. I told him I totally agreed, and asked him, "Don't you think they are in a better place?" He replied, "But they never got to live out their purpose, and it's not fair." I then threw out this suggestion to him, that maybe the real purpose of his brothers and sisters was simply to bring him to this point where he would have to give up control and get closer to God. I told him that the void he has from no brother or sister can be not only filled, but overflow with the love of Jesus. I tried to paint a picture of his brothers and sisters in heaven, worshipping God, and cheering him on right NOW, and that when he finished HIS purpose here, he would get to be up there with them, all 6 of them, and his parents. I told him how excited I was to see him there, in heaven, with his whole family. He started to really get encouraged.

I told him, though, that before anything happened, and he could reach the potential of God's call for his life, he had to forgive God for taking his brothers and sisters, and give up control. Eric knew it, and we talked for a long time about what that might be like. I told him how much he had encouraged me and humbled me that night, and I thanked him for that. Then we got on our knees and prayed. I asked him if he wanted me to pray, but he said no, he had to do it, it was his thing. So, with both of us crying, he asked God for forgiveness fro hoe he had treated God, and prayed that he knew God had a plan all along, and forgave Him, and asked God to use him for some big things.

Yes, Eric is 13....

I was shaking. When I finally said goodnight to him, and crawled into bed, I was shaking. When I woke up the next morning, I was still shaking. That night, I was still shaking. It wasn't a scared shaking, it was an 'awe' shaking. I was in so much awe of how good God is! Eric touched my life, and as I told some of the staff about it the next day, Sarah came up to me and said, "You're on holy ground, Darren."

It's so true! God was there, and Eric is only one of many stories where God touched hearts, and filled them. He reached kids, staff, and leaders. I could write a whole lot more about everything and everyone, but it's late, it's been a long week, and I need sleep!

Thank you Jesus, for Eric.

Thank you Jesus, for loving us more than any brother or sister ever could.

Thank you, Jesus, for forgiveness.

5 comments:

Kellen said...

it is so encouraging to read about the amazing things God is doing through your life! Psalm 135 says that the earth shakes when it sees God and that mountains melt like wax before Him....I guess it only makes sense that you would be shaking in awe of God after something like that....but I guess, we should be shaking in awe of God all the time....keep posting stuff like this, I love hearing about it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jesus for Darren.
kristel

Anonymous said...

Darren, I just found your blog somehow (bored at work!!) and it's amazing what you're doing. You are truly a blessing to many lives (including mine). May God bless you and keep you in the hollow of His hand throughout this God inspired experience. Praying for you and all the children you're are leading closer to God. Take Care.
Raychel VanBerkel

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling darren. Wow i just discovered your postings, and i am so encouraged to hear you are striving and asking for an intimate relationship with Him... not to mention bring others closer to him. Thank you for pursuing such an incredible journey and letting people in on it. I will be back in BC mid-august. Wouldn't it be something to run into you if you were still there. Many blessings.

Anonymous said...

Darren,
tears are streaming down my face as I read this story. Thank you for sharing how the Holy Spirit is obviously working in and through you, your campers, the churches and the rest of your team. Keep goin, brother, keep goin!

 

zinc poisoning